Skip to main content

Into the Light



In January of 2009, I came home from a school event to find my mom and dad crying on the couch. Unsure of what was going on, I sat down and comforted her. She found a lump that day under her right  armpit. Confused and upset, we kept calm and made appointments to see what it was and what next steps there were to take.
A few days later, the test came back that she had stage 3 breast cancer and had to have surgery immediately.  They went in and removed 17 lymph nodes and also removed her right breast. After recovering from surgery, was the start of a long journey of chemotherapy.
She lost all of her hair, went numb in her arms and toes, was very weak and sick most days. She was also driving every other week to Ann Arbor for chemo. These were some of the things that were the hardest for the family to see and deal with.  It wasn't the same, our mom wasn't our mom. We went from a mom with so much energy and motivation, to the opposite. My mom was determined to be that mom again someday. 
8 years later, and my mom is one of the strongest people I know. Her courage and strength is something I look up too. She is a 8 year survivor and many more years to come. We just did our 6th annual Into the Light cancer walk this past week as a family and every year we look forward to celebrating that she is still here with us. 




Comments

  1. I, too, have been impacted by cancer in my family. I am so happy to see that your mother is a survivor & a very strong fighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a touching story. You both are so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your personal experience with breast cancer. I am very happy to hear that your mom is a survivor. I have known several people with breast cancer and the obstacles they faced to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blog. Breast cancer is a very serious issue and it affects sooo many families. Two of my own family members have been through chemo for breast cancer. I am so happy your mom is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, thank you so much for sharing your story. I really feel like stories like these are really what accommodate the most to breast cancer awareness month. Although it's very hard to talk about, it should be talked about! Your story can give others strength, as well as lead people in the right direction if in case they are put in the same situation. I lost my grandma to breast cancer 5 years ago. Of course dealing with any sort of sickness takes a toll on an entire family, but awareness, breast cancer walks, fundraisers and things help educate and appreciate life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren, it is great that you shared your story. Cancer can take the biggest toll on families and you showed how it took one on yours. Your mom sounds amazing. I really hope one day they change the recommended mammogram age to 20 instead of 40ish. It affects younger people and can take lives. We should all be proactive!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment